Tips for Writing a SOP for Study Abroad
- Posted By : Admin
A Statement of purpose is an essay required by the university stating the purpose of applying to a particular course in a particular university. The aim of the statement of purpose or SOP is to tell the university about yourself, your academic qualifications, the course you want to pursue, your long-term and short-term goals. The SOP should convince the admission committee that the course will help you achieve your aspirations. A well-written SOP can convince the admission committee to accept your application.
Some Universities have SOP or Essay for Scholarship.
Statement of purpose is generally 1- 2 pages long consisting of 1000 words. It is generally written in 12-point font and double-spaced. The SOP is divided into 5-7 paragraphs of 150-250 words. Some universities have their own format and word limit. It is tough to write your achievements in a few words, so a lot of planning is required. It will require planning, execution, and modification before submitting to the university.
Tips for writing a SOP:
- Specify your achievements with examples.
- Pay attention to grammar
- Mention reasons why you want to do that particular course in the university.
- SOP have to be university and course specific
- SOP has to be formal. Do not use slang.
- If there has been something that has affected the grades, be truthful and put it out in a positive way.
- Be precise and do not beat around the bush.
- Make sure points are related and follow the timeline.
- Proofread before submitting.
- Do not exceed the word limit.
SOP and Paragraphs:
- The first paragraph is about an introduction to your academic goals.
- The second paragraph is about academic background. It would include the course pursued and the modules covered.
- The third paragraph is about work experience details or internships.
- The fourth paragraph is about why that particular course. In this paragraph, you should discuss why you want to join a course and the skills that will help you develop to realize your goals and dreams.
- The fifth paragraph is about career goals. This is the most important paragraph, where you should discuss your short and long-term. The short-term goal will include what your goals are immediately after your course. The long-term goals are your aspirations after 10-12 years.
- The sixth paragraph states why that particular university. This is a paragraph where you can convince a university that they are suitable for your profile and you are an ideal candidate for their university. You should discuss the course curriculum, research work, and faculty names, as well as the university-specific activities that would help you enhance your profile.
- The final paragraph should state your readiness to pursue education abroad.
A Statement of purpose is one most important admission documents. It is written to convince the admission committee and to secure admission. If your intent to study in that university is not clear your application is rejected. So it is imperative that attention is given when writing SOP as it is a gateway to your admission.