Deadlines for Admissions into Colleges
- Posted By : Admin
Most of the international colleges have four kinds of application deadlines. The deadlines are college-specific.
Early decision: Here the student applies early. The student applies in October-November and the college reverts by December. This is a great option for students who have a particular college in mind. When you apply for an early decision deadline and a college accepts you, you cannot break your contract and will have to attend that college. If you decide to back out because you’ve changed your mind, most colleges will charge you a fine.
- The response is fast. So if you don’t get into the college you can apply to other colleges by the regular deadline.
- There is less stress if the student is admitted early and will not have to apply to multiple colleges.
- Admission rates are higher in early decisions than the regular deadlines.
- The cancellation fee is very costly.
- You can apply only to one college.
- You have to be prepared earlier as the early decision deadlines are earlier.
Regular Decision Deadlines: This is the most common deadline. The application deadline is around December-January and the colleges announce their decision by March. The student has to get back to the university by April-May. This is applicable for fall intake.
- A student can apply to any number of colleges.
- A student has plenty of time to complete the application.
- A student has plenty of time to reapply.
- A student will have to rush at the last minute and multi-task.
- A student will have less time to prepare for college as they will still be doing the application process.
Early Action: Early action allows a student to apply early. It is not binding. A student can apply to multiple colleges. The deadlines are generally in November and acceptance is by December.
- It is not binding
- A student can apply for multiple colleges.
- A student receives early response so he has multiple options to choose later if he does not get in any of the colleges.
- Some colleges have higher acceptance rate.
As the application deadlines, a student has to be ready sooner.
Rolling Deadlines: The colleges that have rolling deadlines have deadlines that are the same as regular deadlines. The difference is that the college looks at the application as soon as it receives it and sends an offer letter as soon as a decision is made. It is better to apply early. Some colleges have rolling deadlines as late as April.
- There is plenty of time to complete the application.
- A college reverts early if a student applies early
- The chances of a scholarship are reduced when you apply late.
- Not all colleges have rolling admissions.
- In case the class fills up, a student will not get admitted.
These are the main deadlines in colleges. There are also other deadlines like scholarship deadlines and separate deadlines for specific programs. It is always a good idea to apply early and check for deadlines on the college website. The college deadlines vary from college to college.